Teen Depression Rates

Back to Article
Back to Article

Teen Depression Rates

Zoey`Shepherd

Zoey`Shepherd

Zoey`Shepherd

Ashley Raffkind, Writer

Depression has life changing effects on the people who suffer from it and those around them. The isolation, worry and fear that comes with this mental illness can often make others think that they stand alone in their struggles. Depression can often make people feel like their thoughts and emotions get trapped inside a birdcage; unable to fly out into freedom. It feels like their once happy hearts begin to sink into an ocean of sadness, while struggling to catch their breaths. It feels like a chain pulling down while they vigorously fight their way up so they don’t hit rock bottom and perish into nothing. It’s dark, cold, and extremely lonely. It makes it difficult to reach out and ask for help because of a so called “normal” life seems too far away. But most of all, they become petrified of the lonely darkness.

The tough topic of depression affects many people in society and makes them feel isolated from the world. Depression rates have increased more and more as the years have gone by. It’s estimated that around 350 million people worldwide suffer from depression. Rates were highest among young people; 63 percent for teens and 47 percent for millennials. Young people get hit the hardest with depression because of the amount of social media exposed to them. In today’s world, social media is everywhere, and this makes for a dangerous road for teens. One wrong comment on a photo, or one wrong text message can lead to someone taking a careless path. Teenagers become extremely pressured when it comes to looks, or what they wear, or even the friends they hang out with.

“Teenagers are so focused on worldly things in our society that many are led on a path of comparison to others whether it be physically, emotionally or mentally,” junior Lexi Smith said.

Zoey Shepherd
Keeping close connections with other people can help teens with stress and depression.

Teenagers get too caught up in their “image” rather than how they should live their life being themselves, this can cause low self esteem issues.

By Lindsey Bolin

Depression can also be caused by losing a loved one, social isolation, major life changes and trauma.

Research by Public Health Havering, shows that, “lacking social connections can be as damaging to our health as smoking 15 cigarettes a day.”

Certain lifestyles and the stress of daily life can make some people socially isolated and vulnerable to being lonely.

“Teen depression rates are going up because of the increasing of social and academic pressure that is put on students,” biology teacher Heather Blythe said.

High school students are expected to be involved in clubs, sports, school activities, make good grades, volunteer and stay on top of studies and homework. Getting home late from practices or school related activities causes them to have to stay up late trying to get their school work done, so that they can make those good grades that are expected of them. Teens become stressed by the thought of not being able to handle the pressures of school. This becomes overwhelming and can trigger anxiety if they feel unable to keep up.

Knowing depression symptoms is key to helping someone before it’s too late. Some depression symptoms are seeing someone that has lost interest in favorable activities, a change in appetite, an emerging dark side or change of emotions. The National Suicide Prevention lifeline number is 1-800-273-8255, and is available 24 hours a day and provides support and comfort to those dealing with hard times.

About the Contributors
Ashley Raffkind, Writer/Photographer

My name is Ashley Raffkind and I've been on the Sandstorm staff for 2 years. I am a Varsity Cheerleader and I've been cheering for my last three years...

Elyse Barron, Photo Editor

My name is Elyse Barron, I’m a senior. I’ve been in the sandstorm staff for three years of high school. I’m a capricorn, I enjoy sunsets, long walks...

• Teen Depression Rates

News

Four advance to State in TAFE

• Teen Depression Rates

News

Should there be a Delayed School Start?

• Teen Depression Rates

News

The Principle of Kwanzaa

• News

Should Pep Rallies be Year Round?

• Teen Depression Rates

News

Where Should You go for Lunch?

• Teen Depression Rates

News

Coat Drive

• Teen Depression Rates

News

History of Hanukkah

• Teen Depression Rates

News

Mid-Term Election

• Teen Depression Rates

News

History of Thanksgiving

• Teen Depression Rates

News

All-Region Choir Results

Teen Depression Rates