Global Warming

Back to Article
Back to Article

Global Warming

Michael Chinea, Writer

Once, people had believed that resources would last for lifetimes, food would always be on the table, and that climate change was just something proposed to bring up scientists’ paychecks. It’s known now that those people may have been far from right, and that time is limited.

With the melting of the ice caps, something almost everyone knows about, comes the rising of the sea level. By the year 2100, sea levels may rise up to four feet. This is accompanied by a rise in global temperatures of up to 6-7 degrees, weather instability, violent storms, heat waves, drought, wildfires, heavy snow, rain and flooding.

“Climate change is no longer some far-off problem; it’s happening here, it’s happening now,” former President Barack Obama said.

The situation itself sounds hopeless, and according to many well established scientists the worst predictions are the most accurate. As Benjamin Franklin once said, “when the well is dry, we’ll know the worth of water”.  

One would say we have really done ourselves in but not all hope is lost. People are a brilliant species, and as far as anyone knows, people are the center of this universe. Those same scientists, though they see the hopelessness, still have motivation to discover something that can be done. With brilliant minds at work, all one would need is to look at how far they have come to know where they are going.

“I think in the future we will eventually overcome it. We have a lot of smart people in this world, and that’s how it’s going to happen,” Braxton Hightower said.

Not only this, but it is in fact believed by many that global warming isn’t an issue, if it’s even a real thing. The idea is that global warming and the evidence used to back it up have been falsely distorted for ideological and possibly even financial reasons. This, however can’t be true considering around 97% of climate scientists agree that global warming is an issue, and that it could very well threaten the future. 97% is a lot to argue against, especially considering the evidence given by a scientist against the average person who disagrees with climate change. No matter what anyone believes in or wishes to believe in, the idea that our world may be in danger should be enough to convince the common man that something should be done.

Whether climate change is reality or an economically driven myth, the effects are real, they are apparent, and it’s only a matter of time before they become dire.

• Global Warming

Perspectives

SpaceX

• Global Warming

News

Do Students Keep Up with the News?

• Global Warming

News

The History of Halloween

• Global Warming

Perspectives

Trick or Treat?

• Global Warming

Perspectives

Introverts vs Extroverts

• Global Warming

News

Teen Depression Rates

• Global Warming

News

Coat Drive

• Global Warming

News

History of Hanukkah

• Global Warming

DIY and Recipes

Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treats

• Global Warming

News

Mid-Term Election

Global Warming