March Madness

Back to Article
Back to Article

March Madness

Jackson O'Hair, Writer

The first game of the 2019 NCAA tournament, 10-seed Minnesota’s win over 7-seed Louisville dropped the total number of perfect brackets from 100 percent to 31 percent, the number kept falling. 12-seed Murray State’s win over 5-seed Marquette cut the field from 12.8 percent to 4.9 percent, and 7-seed Wofford’s win over 10-seed Seton Hall saw the percentage fall under 1 percent for the first time. In the end, through the first 16 games of the tournament only 0.26 percent of millions of brackets remain perfect.

After the first day, approximately 60,000 perfect brackets remained after millions had entered. Now through two days and 32 games, there are just 15 perfect brackets remaining across all major bracket games. Saturday sees eight more games, and a chance for some of those 15 brackets to set the record with 40 straight correct picks.

On the third day, two have remained perfect through 40 games. Before this year, the best in history was 39 games in a row. Both of the brackets have the same three picks to start Sunday: Tennessee, UNC, and Duke. The first game that they disagree on is the fourth of the day: Buffalo vs. Texas Tech.

On the fourth day only 1 bracket correctly predicted the Red Raiders, and thus became the last perfect bracket left. Four games later, after Oregon beat UC Irvine, “center road” was still a flawless 48-for-48, a ridiculous feat. The tournament starts again Thursday with the Sweet 16.

• March Madness

Sports

Baseball Area Championship

• March Madness

Showcase

Baseball Advances to Area

• News

Tennis Pair Qualifies for State

• March Madness

News

Track Takes Area Championship

• March Madness

Sports

Boys, Girls Track Claim District Title

• News

Boys Wrestling Goes to State

• March Madness

News

Boys and Girls Relays

• March Madness

News

Boys Soccer Takes Bi-District Championship, Play For Area Today

• Showcase

Sandies take State

• March Madness

Sports

Battle of the Bands

March Madness