Boys and Girls Relays

Back to Article
Back to Article

Boys and Girls Relays

Varsity girls track poses with their win at the Amarillo Relays

Courtesy photo

Courtesy photo

Courtesy photo

Piper Johnson, Writer

The Amarillo High track team had a winning weekend at Amarillo Relays. The boys placed second with a total of 156.50 points and the girls won with a total of 174 points.

The meet has participants from 24 public and private schools throughout the region.

Nyakat Ezbon set person records and won most of her events events. Damonze Woods, a freshman, also did well in his events.

“It was hard but my coaches prepared me for it,” Ezbon said. “My coaches prepared me to be ready to multitask for the last five years, so I’m always ready.”  

Ezbon was able to bring home her first gold of the relays, clearing season-best 5-foot-6 to win the high jump, then claimed silver in the long jump with another season best jump of 18-0 1/2. She snagged two more golds as part of the Lady Sandies 400 meter and 800 meter relay.

The 6-foot-3 Woods ran a personal-best 49.10 to win the 400 meter run by more than a second on Saturday. Luke Ramsey, a junior and throws shot put, threw 44-11 ¾ for second place. Bret Gilbert, a senior and throws discus, threw a 143-9 for second in his event as well. Denver Talley, a junior and ran the 110 hurdles, ran a 15.59 and got first. Trey Thomas, a sophomore and ran the 300 hurdles, ran a 39.21 and got first.

Both teams did very well in their events and placing in almost every event. They all worked extremely hard to get to the point where they’re planning to win every event and win all the competitions they attend.