Terrell named Finalist for District Teacher of the Year

Carolyn+Terrell+poses+with+her+mother+at+the+Teacher+of+the+Year+breakfast.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Carolyn Terrell poses with her mother at the Teacher of the Year breakfast.

courtesy photo

courtesy photo

courtesy photo

Zoey Shepherd, Writer

Every year Amarillo independent school district chooses the best candicts for teacher of the year.

The Teacher of the Year selection committee, which is made of district staff, a parent, a student and community leaders reads through applications of all 56 campus teachers before choosing six finalists. The finalists are then interviewed for the Secondary Teacher of the Year honors.

This year one of Amarillo Highs own teachers made it to the top three of this significant achievement. Carolyn Terrell, the choir director, felt so impressed with what she has done. She is loved by not only her students but her peers as well.

“It’s very humbling and also a big honor. The one thing that is neat is I got the teacher of the year from Amarillo High. My fellow teachers are the ones who vote on that so that made me feel really good,” Terrell.

She felt nothing but gratefulness for the honor she had received. She was not only ecstatic for the opportunity to make it to the top three, she was even happier to know that the votes came straight from her colleagues.

Ileana Jennings, an English IV AP/DC teacher at Caprock High School, was the winner of this big achievement. Despite Jennings excellent win, Terrell will always be a winner in the heart of each Sandie student and faculty member.