Cooper Defeat Earns Sandies District Title

Brooklyn Tenorio
Players celebrate in the endzone after an early touchdown

After losing two games at the beginning of the season, many people started to wonder  “How good is Amarillo High?,” Once district play started, that question silenced as the Sandies came out against Abilene Cooper, winning district with a perfect record and silenced all remaining critics. A 49-35 win over the 8th ranked Abilene Cooper Cougars, the Sandies showed poise despite their inexperience, showing that no moment is too big for this team.

The game starts off with a Blake Bedwell rushing touchdown putting the Sandies up early with a 7-0 lead. As the first quarter was about to end, the Cougars answered back with a rushing touchdown of their own, tying the game at 7-7.

The second quarter begins with the Sandies taking control of the game. Will Maynard throws a ball to Davin Lemmons that initially gets tipped and falls right into the hands of Cayden Phillips for a walk in touchdown. After the extra point goes through the uprights, the Sandies take a 14-7 lead. The defense got a big stop which lead to a touchdown by  elusive back, Taevon Hood. The Sandies took a commanding 21-7. The Sandies weren’t satisfied by their 14 point lead, the rushing attack by Amarillo High continued to put points on the scoreboard getting another rushing touchdown by Blake Bedwell. This put the Sandies up 28-7. The Cougars would not go silent in the quarter, as they marched down the field in twenty-five seconds to score and cut the Amarillo High lead to 28-14 at the half. Amarillo High would head into the locker room knowing that two more good quarters of football would take them to the district championship and the Gold Ball.

Amarillo High continued their dominance in the third quarter as Taevon Hood would scamper into the endzone for his second touchdown of the game. The offensive line dominated Abilene Cooper the entire game. The touchdown and made PAT by AJ Villar would put Amarillo High up 35-14 with the third quarter nearing conclusion. The Cougars would not go down without a fight as another late quarter touchdown would cut their deficit back down to 14.

The Cougars began the fourth quarter with another touchdown cutting the Sandies lead to 7 as the Amarillo High fans began to get nervous. The person who was not fazed by the comeback was quarterback Will Maynard. The calm, cool, and collected junior would lead the offense right down the field and cap it off with a wide open touchdown pass to Davin Lemmons. The Cougars showed why they were ranked so high by driving right down the field to score a quick touchdown to pull them within a touchdown once again. A big play of the game was the onside kick recovery by Trey Thomas. The game had a great story book ending as senior. Blake Bedwell, in what will be his final district game, would find the endzone again for his third touchdown of the game and  ultimately ended all chances for a Cougars comeback. The icing on the cake was a one-handed interception by Evan Newkirk which led Amarillo High to 49-35 victory and district championship over the Abilene Cooper Cougars.

Kooper Holman
The team gathers for a celebration photo after winning the District title

The Sandies will go on to face Chapin (2-8) at 6 P.M. on Thursday, November 14th.