Through The Uprights Against The Raiders

Sandies Beat Raiders In Annual Battle Of Bell Street Game

Another year another instant classic for the Battle of Bell Street. With the final score of 24-21, an unsuspecting defensive battle from both teams occurred at Dick Bivins Stadium. All in all, it was junior kicker Luke Laminack who played hero for Amarillo High, cashing in on a 42 yard field goal as time expired capping off an exciting Friday night.

After losing senior quarterback Will Maynard, junior Brock Wade was set for his first career start against the Raiders. He found a rhythm early and showed off his touch with an eight yard touchdown to Jameson Garcia to tie the game at seven. Randall would go back up 14-7 off a 35 yard touchdown reception from Jacob Tijerina. Sophomore Mason Graham would replace Brock Wade after a hard hit that put him out for the rest of the game. Mason would keep the Sandies alive, finding senior Cayden Phillips for a 90 yard touchdown to tie the game with 14 at the start of the third. The game changing play was a two yard pick-six from Brock Ewing which gave the Sandies their first lead of the night with 21-14 in the middle of the third quarter. The Raiders answered with Jared Gallegos’s 14 yard run to tie the game with 21. The Sandies drove down to the 28 yard line and Luke Laminck put the kick through the uprights as time expired and celebration time began on the field.