Black History Month

During The Month Of February, We Celebrate The African Americans Who Shaped America

Black History Month honors the triumphs of African Americans who shaped America and recognizes black people for their historical deeds. Black History Month originated in 1915, half a century after the Thirteenth Amendment abolished slavery in the United States. 

Martin Luther King Jr. Day, recently celebrated in January, honors the achievements and philosophies of MLK, an African American who fought for civil rights. He campaigned to end racial segregation on public transportation and strive for racial equality in America. In his most famous speech, “I Have a Dream,” he called for economic and civil rights. “I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of the character!” King says. MLK, Jr. promoted nonviolent tactics to achieve civil rights and peaceful protests, he won the Nobel Peace Prize in 1964.  

Amanda Gorman has become the youngest poet to perform at an inauguration. She is a strong, beautiful, empowering black woman. Her poem, recited at the 2021 inaugural ceremony, “The Hill We Climb,” demands “unity and togetherness.” In her poem, she describes herself as “a skinny black girl descended from slaves and raised by a single mother [who] can dream of becoming president, only to find herself reciting for one.”

Contributing to Black History Month builds a huge impact on the cause. Promote and shop from small black business owners. Ace Beaute, founded by Niye Ankien-Attang in 2015, sells a wide range of cruelty-free makeup. Founder Carly Cushnie started her eponymous brand, Cushnie, in 2008 and offers clothes that are minimalist and elegant such as sculptural gowns, jumpsuits, and suits for women. Donate to charities for Black History Month. For example, The Black AIDS Institute, founded in 1999, serves as the only national HIV/AIDS company focused solely on African Americans. Their mission “is to stop the AIDS pandemic in black communities by engaging and mobilizing black institutions and individuals in efforts to confront HIV.”  

Black History month serves everyone the opportunity to share, celebrate, and understand the impact of black heritage and culture. Greater attention upholds the importance of the Black Lives Matter movement, especially since the death of late George Floyd in May 2020. Black History Month means to respect the foundation and achievements of Black Americans.