Did you have a Valentine?

New Student Leadership Takes Office

Student council elects class leaders and kicks off start of year activities
    Celeste Olivarez
    Jack Liles and Luke Moore hang their posters together for the student council election.

With the school year just beginning, the Student Council opened class officer elections for all grades. Along with class officer elections, the council successfully raised school funds by selling Howdy Week Treats.

In order to fulfill the duties of a class officer, one must earn a total of nine hours each semester. Along with the extra required hours, class officers also work during Canned Food Drive and help set up and tear prom. For the graduating class, officers will award the class gift at graduation, and the president will conduct class reunions. 

Hadley Paddock, Elizabeth Griffin, Karsen Fry, Kit Oden, and Annabel Irving ran for freshman class president. For vice-president, the candidates consisted of Jessi Bullard, Savannah Fields, Ellie Horner, Libby Vincent, Evangeline Turner, and Elizabeth Moody. Lastly, Sara Keister and Victoria Boit ran for freshman class secretary. After elections, Hadley Paddock won president, Libby Vincent won vice-president, and Sara Keister won secretary. 

For the sophomore class, Ayla Baer stood unopposed for class president. On the other hand, the candidates who ran for vice-president consisted of Emma Milsow, Morgan Rose, Allison Wu, and Emmalynn Reilly. For the sophomore class secretary candidates, Emmarie Albracht, Macy Martin, and Ellee Wade were the only three candidates in the running. After voting, Ayla Baer won president, Morgan Rose won vice-president, and Macy Martin won sophomore class secretary. 

Freshman Ellie Horner hangs her campaign material for her running as class vice-president. (Celeste Olivarez)

With the junior class, the two candidates running for president consisted of Bella Cross and Will Vincent. For the junior vice-president candidate, Delaney Case stood unopposed. Lastly, for class secretary, the candidates consisted of Kiley Meier, Lauren Miller, and Frannie Quinn. After elections, Will Vincent won class president, Delaney Case won vice-president, and Frannie Quinn won secretary. 

Finally, with the senior class officers, the candidates that ran for president consisted of Tyler Shelburne, Gibson Egan, and Brynn Shinall. The vice-president candidates consisted of Celeste Olivarez, Madalyn Malkuch, Caroline McCarthy, and Emma Adams. For the senior class secretary, Jessilyn Johnson, Jack Liles, Luke Moore, and Farrah Royal all ran. After voting, Tyler Shelburne won class president, Madalyn Mulkuch won vice-president, and Luke Moore won senior class secretary.

Senior Luke Moore hangs up campaign material for student council election. (Celeste Olivarez)

Along with the class officer elections, the Executive Council hosted the annual Howdy Week which allowed students to dress up during theme days to help promote school spirit. On Monday, students dressed accordingly to the theme of Mix Match Monday. Students in all grade levels participated in dressing up for Tropical Tuesday. On Western Wednesday, students dressed up in cowboy boots and hats. The theme on Thursday consisted of students dressing up as throwbacks. Finally, on Friday, students dressed in all white for White-Out. With the pep rally on Friday, students, dressed in all white, filled the auditorium stands to support the Amarillo High football team for their game that night. 

As the students showed school spirit the past two weeks, on Throwback Thursday, the executive council held a fundraiser called Howdy Treats where they sold cookies, candy, popcorn, and muffins to students. This mini fundraiser for the student council raised over $1,300. Though the school year has just begun, the executive council has worked hard to help set up fish camp, howdy week, and the homecoming parade. The outstanding amount of participation has proven that the students really understand the meaning of school spirit.