Spiking Their Way Through District

With a winning reputation to uphold, the varsity volleyball team started their run in district on September 24th. Goals for the season include winning district and helping individual players improve.

“I’m very excited for district to start, I think we are going to do really well,”  Head Coach Mike Moffitt said. “This is an exciting time of year; anytime you get to district play everything gets more exciting.”

The team works hard on every aspect of the game. During practice, the team focuses on little things like footwork and holding platform, these seemingly insignificant details help achieve larger goals. 

“We have worked really hard on our defensive end, and we have tried to improve on that every day in practice so that’s been a focus for us,” Coach Moffitt said.

Each and every girl works really hard to isolate a specific skill that they need to improve on, such as improving passing percentages, defense, and blocking. An example of a hardworking player includes Jo Moffitt, a commit to Western Colorado University.

“I’m trying to get better on defense, by working and focusing on it every day in practice,” Jo Moffitt said.

Overall, the team has confidence in themselves going into district, as they have had a great start during tournament season and plan to continue that level of play. 

“We started with the best record for tournament season since I’ve been here,” Coach Moffit said. “We did really well; we made it in the top four of the first two tournaments. “

Tournament season is a fun experience that helps the coaches figure out the lineup and team chemistry. 

” We went pretty high at Volleypalooza. It was the best we had done at Volleypalooza which is a really hard tournament held in Austin; it’s one of the hardest tournaments in the country.”

The Varsity team record is currently 23 and nine. This means that the team has won 23 games and lost only nine. The girls see the significance in this record and are excited to see it grow. “I’m really excited about our record, it’s really good,” Jo Moffitt said. “I’m excited to keep playing to get that record higher throughout district.” 

The girls express their love for one another and how many memories they make together.

“My favorite part of the season is tournaments because I love spending time with all the girls and traveling with them,” Junior Ryan Pennington said. “I feel like we are going into district really strong and prepared.”