Basketball’s Moonlight Madness

Graphic By: Raina Burusnukul

Introducing the start of the basketball team, the Sandie basketball team held a Moonlight Madness event on Thursday, October 27.

All basketball teams were there, including the freshmen, junior varsity, and varsity boys and girls. Each played scrimmages and 3-point games, showcasing this season’s skill sets. Community members at the event also received the opportunity to join in on the fun.

I am very excited about this season,” basketball Coach Jason Pillion said. “We have some guys moving into different roles this year and how quickly they adapt will determine how quickly we will reach our potential.”

During the 3-point competition, 2 guys from the varsity team went against each other, and 2 girls from the varsity team went head-to-head. From there, the winners from each team played against each other to discover the ultimate winner. On the guy’s varsity team, Jaxon William and Henry Farris went against each other and William took the win. Next, Taytum Bell and Victoria Barrera from the girl’s varsity team played, and Bell won. In the final round, William and Bell went against each other, leading to William’s victory. This competition shows the great sportsmanship between the teams. 

I am really confident in our team, our chemistry works together well, and we’re really balanced and have a lot of skills,” Varsity player Henry Farris said. 

The boy’s varsity black team played a scrimmage against each other, and so did the girl’s varsity team. This gave an insight into how the first few games will look like, and potentially the outlook for the whole season. 

We have to replace many talented players, but our new guys have worked really hard and I’m excited for their opportunity,” Pillion said. 

At the start of basketball season all the players and coaches have a common goal: win district and bring home the state championship. The first game of the season for the boy’s varsity is an away game against Estacado High School. The girl’s varsity team will play a neutral game against Pinkston High School.

“To win state [is the goal],” varsity player Thomas Brown said.