Clue Review

Graphic By: Raina Burusnukul

Amarillo Little Theatre performed Clue on Jan. 19-29, bringing a comedic mystery to life. 

This one-act play takes place in 1954 at Body Manor, where characters filter in during the introduction. Given instructions to keep their life private, the six characters receive fake names. Once Mr. Body meets with the characters, he explains that he holds blackmail from each of their lives, who they have paid to keep secret. Mr. Body then explains that if one of them kills his butler, Wadsworth, nobody will pay to hide their blackmail anymore. Mr. Body is killed, but nobody fesses up to the crime and murders continue throughout the play. Including the cook, the maid, a man who came in to use the phone and a police officer. At the closing of the production, Wadsworth admits that he is Mr. Body, and that the one he called Mr. Body was Wadsworth. He then explains that all of them have killed someone and he called the cops on them for murder. The play proceeds to go through each character’s “ending” until all of them become arrested as the true ending.

Throughout Clue, character development shines. Through the blackmail, the audience discovers how each character holds their own story. When the characters arrive, they begin to socialize. Though they have no understanding of why they received an invite to Body Manor, they begin to bond and tell some about their lives. This bonding continues until murder begins and characters become weary of one another. Comedic relief becomes a trend within the play. Oftentimes when the atmosphere becomes serious, a character will crack a witty joke to lighten the mood. Comedy and tension complement each other by creating a balance of tone. These features within the production keep the audience captivated.

Clue became complete with a beautiful set. When idle, the set looks like a manor. With brown walls, many doors, eerie lighting and a sign on the top that reads BM, for Body Manor. While the play moves forward, the set changes depending on the scene. The door on the right spins onto the stage, showing a lounge. The lounge can spin backstage to make it seem like the front of a manor again. 

Overall, Clue created a luring atmosphere which made audience members cling to the edge of their seat in anticipation. Due to my positive experience, I recommend attending future plays created by Amarillo Little Theatre.