Lady Sandies Soccer Makes History

Lady Sandies soccer team made history by going all the way to the regional quarterfinals this season. Their amazing season ended in a hard-fought loss against Abilene High with a final score of 3-2.

Every year the team improves and has made it further into the playoffs this year than ever before. They had a great season with an overall record of 17-4-3 and remained undefeated all through  district. However, their path of winning came to an unfortunate end after the final goal by Abilene sealed the deal in the second half.

“It was a tough loss to Abilene High,” Head coach Stacey Mcpherson said. “We played well but unfortunately made some mistakes that we could not come back from…We of course were disappointed because we knew we could have won the game, but at the end of the day we never gave up and fought hard to the end.“

Although the season did not end as they wanted, the Lady Sandies fought hard until the end and made history. The team believes the lessons they learned throughout this season will help them grow.

“I am proud of this program, seeing how it has grown in the past 24 years,” Junior varsity coach Kirk Stokes said. “Each year it seems that the players become stronger and more competitive. Under McPherson’s leadership, the program consistently dominates plays in our district and throughout the panhandle. We make strong playoff runs every season and are developing a reputation as one of the most respected programs in the state.”

The junior varsity team also had an outstanding season, finishing the season as district champions. They were undefeated for the entire season with a final score of 15-0; only allowing one goal against them.

“I feel like we performed really well this season; we all learned, improved and worked hard together,” Freshman Presley Brewton said.
Putting time and focus into every practice, scrimmage and game paid off for the Lady Sandies.

“I am really excited to see how the players on this JV team continue to grow and how they will be able to contribute to the soccer program in the future,” Stokes said.