Sandies Take Battle on Bell

Lady Sandies success in a non-district match
Brylee Knipp
Sienna Cavalier and Ryan Pennington jump to receive incoming ball, Grace Hughes (right)

The Lady Sandies defeated the Lady Raiders in an anticipated non-district match. Things did not look great for Amarillo in the first two sets before coming back with a reverse sweep:  21-25, 17-25, 25-23, 25-17 and finally 19-17.

Considering their winning reputations to uphold, the game was huge for both schools. After previously losing to Randall over the weekend, AHS wanted to prove their dominance on the court.

“Even after losing the first two sets our players came together and played as a team,” Head Coach Mike Moffitt said. “They worked as hard as they could and trusted each other, so they earned a great result that they will remember for the rest of their lives.”

I can’t remember any match that I have ever coached that was more exciting. The crowd was loud and fully into the game and stayed from start to finish, and that makes such a big difference.

— Coach Moffitt

Key players include Senior Blair Pennington (49 assists), Junior Sienna Cavalier (18 kills, 16 digs) and Junior Bird Moffitt (17 digs). As a whole the team came together with everyone contributing to the win. 

“We knew if we wanted to win we were gonna have to play together,” Pennington said. “A lot of leaders on the team helped us pull toward each other and play as one.”

Energy played a large role in the match as the atmosphere can make or break how each team plays. The Sandie students helped cheer their team to victory, staying for all five sets and storming the court after the win. 

“That was such an amazing night,” Coach Moffitt said. “I can’t remember any match that I have ever coached that was more exciting. The crowd was loud and fully into the game and stayed from start to finish, and that makes such a big difference.”