Analyzing a Dystopia

Review of the first book in The Hunger Games series

The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins, is a young adult dystopian thriller. Released in 2008, the book grew in popularity and became a movie in 2012. The series contains three books, including a prequel. Millions of The Hunger Games copies have sold over the years and it has won many awards.
Set in Panem, the story follows teenage Katniss Everdeen as she fights for her life and everything she believes in. Everdeen starts in District 12, the poorest district, and gets sent to the Capitol as a tribute for the Hunger Games. The Hunger Games comprise of one boy and one girl from each of the twelve districts who get sent to fight each other, but one sole survivor sees freedom again.
The writing style of the book flows efficiently, and the story makes sense altogether. The characters undergo quite a bit of development, and even the ones that do not have main roles in the story embody details that make them very intriguing. The Hunger Games consists of a lot of action: fighting and life-or-death situations.
When reading, I felt so drawn to the characters and the story. It felt like I could not put the book down. The world in which the story takes place has so many details, that it feels like Panem could exist in this world. The descriptions did not seem to drag the story down, however, it created a deep complexity to the story which made the story all the more enjoyable to read. I felt very connected to the characters and the story.
Overall, I enjoy The Hunger Games. It is one of my all time favorite books, and I definitely recommend it for readers who enjoy action-packed, fast-paced, thriller novels.