Drums on the High Plains

Area schools compete at annual marching festival

Bands from all over West Texas came together to compete for awards at the High Plains Marching Festival on Sept. 30.

The competition took place at Dick Bivins Stadium. The West Plains Band earned first place, The Canyon Band earned second place, and The Amarillo High Band earned third place. Amarillo High won Outstanding 5A band, Canyon won best Color Guard and Percussion, and Caprock won Best Drum Major.

“I was grateful to be put in the top three of the High Plains Marching Bands,”  sophomore Peyton Oden said. “It’s motivational enough to drive my competitiveness and motivate me to work harder for the best score I can.”

The Sandie band will not settle for anything under perfection and work hard to achieve it. 

“We need to continue working so that the performance is really ingrained in our muscle memory,” band director Robert Hinds said.

Students are excited to get even better.

“We for sure have some more work to do, but it seems like everyone is determined to improve and hopefully win at State, so I know the band will just keep getting better and better.” said junior Mandie Haney.

Everyone is ready for the challenges to come including UIL and other contests.

“I thought the band did well at both Prelims and Finals,” Hinds said. “We are definitely on track for UIL on the 14th [October].” 

The band will compete in the UIL Marching Contest October 14 at Dick Bivins Stadium.