Beauty and the Beast Brings Life to the Stage

Theatre Department Presents Disney musical

The musical, Beauty and the Beast, will take the auditorium stage on Nov. 16 with a school performance at 9 a.m., followed by three performances on Nov. 16-18 at 7 p.m.

The Disney musical, Beauty and the Beast features a man who becomes a beast because a witch put a spell on him to teach him a lesson. For the spell to break, the beast must fall in love with a girl, and the girl must also fall in love with him. The theatre department will perform this musical with double-cast female leads. Meaning all of the female leads, with the addition of Chip, have duplicates, with the names: Sandstorm cast and Sandie cast. This includes: Belle, Mrs.Potts and Madame de la Grande Bouche. With a total of four productions, each female lead actor will perform in two to split the performances in an equitable way.

“I think double-cast shows are a great way to give two equally deserving people a chance to play a character,” Alex Worsham, Belle in the Sandie cast, said.

The director chooses the fall production every year. In this case, Director Alexandra Obenhaus chose a musical.

“Beauty and the Beast was very formative in my life as a person in theatre, it has always held a special place in my heart,” Artistic Director Obenhaus said.

Aside from the nostalgia and acting, the technical and singing aspects of Beauty and the Beast provide magic that allows the show to come to life.

“My favorite part about the musical is the way the actors harmonize during song numbers,” light technician Rain Walton said. “Their voices conjoining to one beautiful harmony which pulls you into the show and the story in a fun magical way.”

The actors grow more and more excited to show off their talents by the day.

“I feel like this is going to be a great show and I’m very excited to perform,” Kate Himes, Belle in the Sandstorm cast, said.

Although the main focus of this production is to put on a performance, both technicians and actors learn by attending rehearsals and listening to critiques.

“We have a lot of talented kids both onstage and offstage,” Technical Director Michael Newman said. “I have seen a lot of progress and a lot of learning going on.”

Another goal for theatre students to strive for is captivating the audience into the performance, with hopes to gain new members.

“I hope we can get more people to join theatre and show just how rewarding of an experience it can be,” Alison Price, Babette, said.

Overall, theatre is a community where everyone dedicates their days to prepare for a performance to show their talents and hard work with hopes of an appreciative and captivated audience.

“I hope that everybody walks away feeling like they accomplished something, like they were a part of something bigger than themselves,” Obenhaus said. “We invite you to be our guest!”

Extra Information:

Tickets will be sold at the front office the week of the performance
Students who attend will miss their 2nd and 3rd periods.