Bored in the House and I’m in the House Bored

For many people, staying at home during this quarantine can present many challenges. From mild boredom to serious cabin fever, nobody likes staying home all day every day. Luckily, many interesting pastimes exist to fill the space between waking and going to bed this quarantine season.

Going outside cures cabin fever fast. Going for a run, a walk, or going to the park with siblings can improve a person’s mood, make them more fit, and maybe even give them a vitamin D boost. People have a lot of time on their hands these days, why not use it to benefit themselves? While many playgrounds no longer allow visitors, people can still go to parks or just their front yards so long as they respect the six foot rule. Vitamin D from the sun boosts a person’s mood, too, which will help with the bad mood that often comes along with staying home. 

“I’ve been spending a lot of time outside. It’s a nice break from being in a school building or in my house all day.” Junior Lauren Girty said. 

Many people use Netflix or other streaming services to fill the passing hours. While this can obviously cure boredom, just sitting and watching television can get boring as well. To remedy this problem, a person can take up sewing, drawing, and painting. These activities stimulate brain activity and keep a person’s hands busy while they watch their favorite show. The skill of hand making things improves with practice over time, which makes it ideal for quarantine. 

At some point in a person’s life, they must learn how to cook for themselves. Quarantine provides a perfect opportunity to learn how to cook or just experiment with new recipes. Pick-up grocery orders make it easy to get the ingredients needed in a timely fashion while still staying safe. A person can just take a look at what they have in their home and see what they can make, or they can follow a detailed recipe and try to perfect the dish they attempt to cook. As Chef Gusteau from the popular Disney movie Ratatouille says, “Anyone can cook.”

No matter how a person chooses to pass the time, the most important thing to remember is the safety of oneself and those around them. These activities are meant to ease the pain of staying home, which is necessary in order to stop the spread of COVID-19 and save lives.