Spirit on and off the Stands

How The Football Ladies work to ensure the football players are supported throughout the season.
    Brooklyn Tenorio
    The football ladies cheer on the Sandies at the Spirit Week game against Tascosa

The stands erupted as the quarterback ran into the endzone, scoring the winning point of the game. The crowd went wild, becoming united as one school and as they claimed the victory, the Football Ladies began to lead the student section by wrapping up the night with the memorable school song.  

The Football Ladies program has become a tradition over the years. The senior girls take on an opportunity to cheer on the team and support a player of their choice. They encourage the players by decorating the locker room, making goodie bags, and repping their player’s jersey from the front row at all games.

During the season, the football players have extreme pressure to make it as far as they can on their journey to state. With all the stress, the encouragement and support from the Football Ladies motivates each and every player to perform their best at every game.

“The support I receive from my football lady is unmatched,” senior varsity football player, Brock Ewing said. “The football ladies do an amazing job and it really impacts us as players knowing we are playing not only for our team but for our supporters.”

Prior to every game, the football ladies do their part to cheer on the players in the locker room. Along with decorating the locker room, the ladies make goodie bags and posters each week for their player. With each player having a great support system, the ladies motivate not only their player, but the whole student section along with them. 

“I think the students get inspired by all the girls cheering and make other students wanna be more involved,” senior  Becca Dowell said. “It’s a good way to show off school spirit and set an example for the under-classroom.”

Football Ladies put in their best effort to make each player feel special and encouraged. With every football season, these ladies spread Sandie spirit all over the school that will pass down from generation to generation.