Artists Place in Competition

The Window on a Wider World 8th Annual Youth Art Show hosted an event on October 30th at the Globe-News Center for the Performing Arts featuring the artists and the winners’ work.

“WoWW received 250 artworks from 4th – 12th-grade students,” said art teacher, Trina Carlton, “from all over the top 26 counties of the Texas Panhandle.”

Out of those 250 artworks, 14 Sandie students entered artworks into the WoWW and three of those students made the top ten. Hannah Griffin in second place, Aiden Ayala in third place, and Chesley Perdue in the top ten. 

Our theme for this year was ‘freedom’ and to me the application of freedom is a choice,” said Griffin. “So in order for everybody to be free we must choose to have laws and restraints in place to protect that freedom. A contradiction to the definition of freedom.” 

Griffin adapted her definition of freedom into her own artwork while keeping it with the traditional definition of freedom. Like Griffin, the rest of the students had to create pieces that follow along the lines of freedom. Their pieces represented their term of freedom and how they imagined it. 

“I grew up in Europe,” said Perdue, “And got to see lots of different kinds of art.”

Growing up in Europe, surrounded by all different kinds of art, caused Perdue to show interest in art and pursue it. 

“For the past three years I have both gone to state and received a 4 but was never selected for gold,” said Griffin, “which I hope to change this year as it is my last time to compete.”

February 19th there will be a VASE competition which is an artist’s form of a UIL competition, involving regional and state selections. If the artists get a 4 in both the regional and state competition, they will compete against other people for gold.