Spiderman Showdown Part 2

Raina Burusnukul

Andrew Garfield, one of Hollywood’s most admired A-list actors. Widely known for his portrayal of Peter Parker, a kid genius by day, teen vigilante by night in “The Amazing Spider-Man”, as well as his intense monologue in The Social Network as Eduardo Saverin. Aside from the glitz and glam of the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) and the story of Facebook, this British-born has a hefty resume and several academy award nominations from various other projects under his belt, including his Oscar nomination for his latest feature film, Tick, Tick… Boom!. However, one of his most known roles and one the majority recognize him from is Spiderman. Garfield played the kid genius for several years, starring in two “The Amazing Spider-Man” movies from 2012 to 2014. Many will argue that Tobey Maguire, the first actor to portray Parker in the original Spider-Man movies, or Tom Holland, the latest actor to portray the famed hero, stand as the better Spider-Men. However, many fail to recognize and give Garfield more credit for the quality acting he utilized during his run as Parker. In my opinion, Garfield remains the best casting choice for the part-time vigilante, due to his exceptional acting skill, entertaining character, and warm soul. 

Out of all the Peters, Garfield put forth the best acting into the image of a hero, making the emotions as well as the highs and lows that Parker faced all the more believable. His talent is adequately portrayed in the various scenes of Peter grappling with episodes of grief and stress, such as the scenes of him grieving the sudden death of Gwen Stacy, his long-running girlfriend in the MCU. After Peter fails to save her from her untimely death, he endures bouts of depression, guilt, and anger. Garfield, in my opinion, portrays the long-winded list of emotions the teen faces beautifully. Another aspect of the role that Garfield seems to have mastered: Parker’s witty and sarcastic nature, this helps make the teen all the more loveable and admirable. Garfield’s ability to realistically personate Parker’s brainy and borderline nerdy side really helps sell the role of him existing as just another awkward outcast (that seems to know every answer in Chemistry) in high school, who ends up as the hero a crime stricken city needs.

Many of his former co-stars’ acquaintances will say that Garfield has a kind, respectful, and generous soul; he truly cares about those and the world around him. This can be seen in the fact that he still maintains a good relationship with his ex, Emma Stone, who portrayed his on-screen girlfriend, Gwen Stacy. Garfield often advocates for LGBTQ+ rights, with a video of him somehow spinning the typical “What’s your favorite color?” question to advocate for gay rights going viral. 

In closing, Garfield brought forth one of the most unforgettable portrayals of Peter Parker as the Spiderman to date, and is, in my opinion, the best Spider-Man in MCU history. If the vast list of achievements Garfield has accomplished in his life does not speak for itself, the creator of Marvel and Spider-Man himself once said in an interview that Garfield “(was) absolutely great,” as the infamous wall-climbing hero.