Band Competes at Area

Halftime performance places sixth

The Golden Sandie Band marched to Area where they had the opportunity to perform their halftime show. They competed on Saturday, Oct. 28 in Lubbock.
After the band received seventh place in prelims and advanced to finals where they locked in and finished strong, bumping up to sixth. Although they did not receive the opportunity to advance to State, the band worked hard and performed to the best of their abilities.
“I am very pleased with the progress the band has made and with our many public performances,” director Robert Hinds said. “I think the band has a much better attitude and is willing to put in the hard work it takes to be and do our best.”
The band worked hard to perfect their show, practicing in 40-degree weather and sacrificing countless afternoons, all in order to do the best they could. When the buses arrived in Lubbock the students knew this would not be easy.
“The rain didn’t help with the instruments, but we kept going despite the fact that our instruments, plums, and uniforms were soaked,” senior Ethan Tilson said. “I definitely think the weather was a major factor of why we couldn’t reach our full potential.”
This year’s show was unique compared to past performances and required a lot of time and dedication. The students rose to the occasion and took the challenge as an opportunity to succeed.
“This is the first time in all my years at Amarillo High that the band has been bumped up,” director Scott Myers said. “We either remain the same or go down, so that alone is something to be proud of.”
Every year brings new learning opportunities for both the students and directors to improve and adapt to become the best they can.
“This year the band stepped out of the rut and gave this show their all,” Hinds said. “This group of kids is full of talent and I’m excited to see where that takes the band as a whole.”