Swim State Recap

The 2023-2024 swim team dove into this year’s challenges and swam their way to State competition. After dominating District and taking home second place in regionals, two individual swimmers and a boy’s relay race took on State. L
All athletes worked hard and took advantage of the new teaching techniques offered by coach Ronald Lee. The team shined bright throughout the season, but select individuals achieved the honor of representing the Sandies at State. The two placing individuals featured Alec Purdy who won first in 100-fly and second in 100-back at region, and Lance Dykhouse who got third in both 50-freestyle and 100-back at region. The 200-freestyle relay team consisted of Alec Purdy, Lance Dykhouse, Andres Cebrero and Wyatt Willburn. They placed third in Region and advanced to State. The season ended with Purdy placing sixth and Dykhouse placing 14 at State, a victorious end to the season made coach Lee and the other athletes proud.
“The team’s biggest accomplishment this year has been placing [second] at Regionals then Qualifying for State,” Purdy said. “I’m also proud of Lance and I for individually placing.”
Lee uses a hands-off coaching technique that allows his athletes to take his guidance and then translate it to use in their performance wherever they see best fit.
“This year I placed an emphasis on swimmers taking ownership of their swimming and I think this really contributed to their success,” Lee said.
Every athlete learned from this season and improved themselves either mentally, physically or both. The improvements made this year give the program hope for seasons to come.
“Looking back I can see incredible improvements in my times and character,” senior Wyatt Spidel said. “I’ve grown so much in who I am and I’ve grown so much in my swimming capabilities. It’s not every day you get this amazing opportunity to swim with all these wonderful guys and girls.”
Almost every athlete has someone behind the scenes rooting and pushing them to become the best athlete and person possible.
“First of all, I give my credit to God,” Cebrero said. “He put me exactly where I needed to be. I also give credit to my parents, siblings, and the seniors who graduated before me. And finally, Parker [his best friend] when I was dealing with my hardest challenges he was there for me.”
Swim not only provides athletes with physical improvements but encourages them to go outside their comfort zone allowing them to make new friendships and know themselves better. Swim has impacted many and provides competitors with new connections and a second family.
“Swim has impacted my life beyond what I can say,” Cebrero said. “I’ve made so many friends. I can never thank God enough for the people he put into my life through swim. I have joined a family. The love I have for each and every one of those swimmers is beyond words. It gave me memories that I will never forget. It gave me joy in the hardest times.”