Diving into Swim Season

With a goal to qualify for the State Meet this year, the swim team used new methods of training such as dedicated and focused training times and a workshop with Olympian Josh Davis.

The team consists of eight seniors, eighteen juniors, twelve sophomores, and thirteen freshmen. They swim under the guidance of coach Ronald Lee, who has high hopes for the team this year.

“My expectations for the swim team this year is that we place as high as possible in district and advance as many individual qualifiers to regionals as we can,” Coach Lee said.

Many of the team members look forward to certain things this year and see the team as a way to improve their skills. They believe that training with the swim team will help them accomplish their goals.

“I am looking forward to being on the varsity team,” freshman Lance Dykhouse said.

Some members joined the sport for fun, but then fell into the rhythm of spending their time in a pool and that persuaded them to take it a step further.

“I’ve been swimming since I was like seven, initially it was because I just needed to learn how to swim, but then once I started doing it I enjoyed it and joined the swim team,” junior Ethan Reyna said.

However, swimming does not just involve fun and games. It takes some serious motivation. They train themselves to compete to the best of their abilities.

“I did strength and conditioning this summer,” sophomore Cora Neeb said, “And I went to practices that took place over the summer as well.”

Even the swimmers who have been on the team for years still strive to improve themselves. They have made lots of memories and friendships that they can take with them beyond high school.

“My favorite part about swimming is the friendships I make along the way,” senior Hannah Luna said, “I’m making it a priority to not skip, and attend all practices.”