One Team, One Dream-Brendan Hausen

Colin Powell, Former Secretary of State, once said, “A dream doesn’t become reality through magic; it takes sweat, determination, and hard work,” and with it, came its challenging course, one that has tested many in various situations. One resounding one, in particular, came from a certain boy with a dream that he knew was going to take everything he had to accomplish it. All despite the sweat and tears. And he made it.

“I’m going to Villanova,” Senior Brendan Hausen said. 

With his offer to the D1 Villanova Wildcats University secured, the newly-committed Brendan Hausen will go on his way to start his freshman college year in a new state, and new atmosphere.

Although COVID-19 pandemic restrictions had slowed down much of his opportunities at a social recognition in time for recruitments, once basketball season at Amarillo High School had resumed his junior year, he successfully fired up the interests of basketball coaches from all around the country and racked up an impressive 20+ offers. From his sweet shooting skills to his extensive knowledge of his playing field, it did not take long for him to quickly find himself as the No.39 nationally ranked player recruit. Not to mention, Hausen has recently upgraded to a four-star recruit in the whole nation. At a towering height of 6’4 and playing point guard, arguably one of the toughest positions, Brenden Hausen has quickly solidified his spot as all-time leading scorer with an average of 17.6 points per game, 3.4 assists per game, and a surpassed 90 three-pointers. He has immensely helped guide the Sandies to a 24-4 record, an appearance in the Class 5A state semifinals, and was also named the District 3-5A MVP. 

“This is something I’ve always dreamed of,” Hausen said. “I just think that it’s a dream come true.”

Gaining a variety of offers from multiple D1 schools including Nevada, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Arizona State, and Oregon, within time and official visits, he narrowed it down to his final choice which he believed would turn out as the most beneficial for him and his future. At the moment, he is currently looking into majoring in communications but is open to the idea of an education in business.

“I think that I had some really good options, but once I got there [Villanova] and got to see what the school was about, I just felt at home,” Hausen said. “It was right for me and my family, the right time, and that they had everything that I needed, as far as school and athletics.”

Since his offer from Villanova University in July, he has built a strong connection with not only the program, but with the coaches and the lengths that they took to keep him feel wanted, not just for his talents, but rather also for his individuality as a player. 

“I think that I can go there and be a really big piece to that basketball team, but also to that community, to be a light [and] represent the West Texas area really well,” Hausen said. “And I think that they have done a good job of establishing a good culture that many people want to be a part of. Not just me, but also the whole community. I think that everyone is invested in that area.”

A major part of his reflection on his time growing up had centered a lot around his time and memories created at AHS and the people who have encouraged and influenced his actions. 

“Just being able to grow up with the kids that I’ve been with since kindergarten and seeing us all grow up together, that’s cool. Playing basketball here has always been a dream; so like playing with my brother and my best friends, winning games, that’s been some good memories.”

On his journey to graduation, and seeing through the end of his final high school basketball season strong, Hausen’s determination and strong roots will forever portray an inspiring feat for any student in Amarillo and beyond to look forward to. 

“My goal is to go there and be the best version of me, win a national championship, and hopefully make it to the NBA,” Hausen said. “I want to get a great education, and one day come back to the West Texas Area and do something with basketball and help the youth out.”