Spiderman Showdown Part 1

Raina Burusnukul

Ever since the announcement of Tom Holland’s third Spiderman movie, “Spiderman: No Way Home,” Fans have been in heated debates about the best spiderman of all time. I am here to defend the original, the human spider, the one and only Peter-Two: Tobey Maguire. 

One of the many reasons Maguire should be given the title of the best Spider-Man of all time is he can make his own webs. While the later two Spider-Man’s use web shooters, Maguire can shoot them out from his wrist. Having web-shooters makes the other two more vulnerable in a fight. They can easily become broken or just run out. The mattence of this technology also takes time. An example of this, in Garfield’s second movie when he battles with electro his web shooter becomes damaged and he must repair it. This gives the villain time to plan and reke havoc on the city

Another important aspect of Maguire’s Spider-Man is that he gets to meet both MJ and Queen Stacy. He interacts with both of the comic book love interests throughout his three movies. He gets to appreciate them both then make a choice about who he is most interested in. The others only interact with one of the girls and the viewers don’t get to see how Peter Parker truly falls for MJ like he does in the comic books. Both characters are given a full story development and show different sides of Parker to the audience. 

Maguire’s movie had some of the newest special effects of that decade. The battle scenes and the green goblin flying into the shoot were very high tech and kept the audience’s attention. Also he excelled in scenes where CGI was not used. The iconic cafeteria scene where Parker swoops in and catches the falling M.J. while saving her lunch from falling on the floor. It is made to look like Parker’s heightened senses help him move faster, but in reality Maguire practiced that scene until he could skillfully save the day without the use of CGI. 

Maguire formed Peter Parker and Spider-Man’s image; he paved the way for Garfield and Holland. The Spider-Man fan base wouldn’t be where it is today without Maguire. He introduced the world to the awkward and intelligent teen behind the mask.. Garfield has spoken about Maguire’s influence on his performance in past interviews. He grew up with Maguire’s movies and that is how he first became connected to Parker’s story. 

Overall, Maguire truly deserves recognition as the best Spider-Man for his personal development of the character, how MCU used most recent special effects, but also challenged Maguire’s superhero skills, and his story line that is most accurate to the comic books.