Sandies Avoid the Horns

Photo By: Zach Ring

After a demoralizing loss to the Tascosa Rebels, the Sandies routed the Caprock Longhorns 56-20. Carrying the Sandies to the blowout win was senior quarterback Mason Graham. Graham threw 7 touchdowns with no interceptions and tagged on 359 yards onto those touchdowns and ran for another. “The perfect game” and an amazing comeback for this rising star. 

The game did not start in the Sandies direction, as the quick first drive resulted in no points for the Sandies. The Longhorns capitalized off of this missed opportunity from the Sandies and took an early 6-0 lead. This led to a bit of a scare for the Sandies considering coming into the week, Caprock, a comfortable 4-1 in standings, looked like a strong leader in the race to win the district. 

The Sandies quickly answered back the next drive with a rushing touchdown from the player of the game, Graham. The early shootout [a high-scoring or intensely played game] continued on the next drive for both teams, closing out the end of the first quarter with a combined total of  27 points. 

The start of the second quarter is when the Longhorns’ mistakes began allowing the Sandies to get the ball back and score, bringing the lead for the Sandies to 21-13. The final score for the Longhorns would bring the game back into reach at 21-20. However, the Sandies  did not let them come anywhere near the lead throughout the rest of the game. 

Mason Graham’s takeover ensued starting with a 35 yard passing touchdown to senior Jameson Garcia. Just a few drives later, Graham threw another 33 yard passing touchdown along with another 35 yard passing touchdown. By this point the whole stadium knew the Sandies would win the game due to the pure talent Graham put on display for the fans in attendance. It is safe to say the Sandies are back on track and on a promising path with the special senior quarterback.

Caprock 

13-7-0-0 

Total 20

AHS 

14-14-21-7 

Total 56