Softball and Baseball Gear up for Their Season

Courtesy Photo from AHS baseball Boosters
Baseball warms up at Sandie Field

Time to grab a baseball cap and some gloves because the baseball and softball teams are gearing up to start their season. 

With tryouts out of the way, baseball coaches Kamron Mathis, Keevin Conner, Randon Johnson, and Robert Hendricks alongside softball coaches Ty Hoobler, Alexis Velasquez and Macy Klinnert begin preparing their teams for the new season. Athletes and coaches look at the upcoming season with optimism and confidence. The new opportunities, new methods and new teams can help lead the Sandies to victory. 

“I am very excited about the upcoming season,” Conner said. “We have a lot of really great talent across the board, and the boys are very dedicated this year.”

Baseball and softball focus on getting the most out of their practices as both teams practice five to six times a week.

“I’m really excited for the upcoming season,” Hoobler said. “We have a very high number of seniors who are teaching the younger girls on the team. Really special bonds have been created. I’m very optimistic to see how well we play this year as a team.”

Teamwork proves an essential part of baseball and softball, the ability to work together comes in handy when playing a community-type sport. “This being my first year, I have a lot of expectations for my boys and hope we can grow as a team, and good young men,” Conner said.

The softball and baseball teams both have schools they want to play against and goals they want to achieve this season. Thanks to the coaching, practices and dedication of the athletes, the players maintain strong confidence in achieving them.

“I’m really looking forward to playing Caprock in district,” Hoobler said. “I think they’ll make us look good.”

The common goal of both teams is to win. Filled with excitement, the new team members work hard at every practice to reach the goal of winning and making their team proud.

“Winning isn’t as important as winning as a team is,” freshman Katherine Gray said. “Winning as a team shows work, skills, and proper communication with others. It teaches you to become a team player, and realize that not everything is going to happen your way.” 

Softball and baseball resemble a family; as athletes are always encouraged by coaches to mess up and learn because that makes them better. Athletes see the friendships made on the teams, which ultimately keeps them involved in the sport. 

“We work hard together and push each other to do our best,” freshman Keegan Johnson said. “We have created an encouraging environment where everyone can perform to the best of their abilities.”