Band Solo And Ensemble

55 Sandie Students Headed To State Competition

After winter break, the bands prepare for their next competition, Solo and Ensemble. 57 students competed, and out of those students, 55 of the groups got ones and are going to the State competition.

Solo and Ensemble, is a rigorous process where the students who compete have a month to prepare either a solo or an ensemble piece. In the room, there is a judge that gives a rating for the performances. After performing, students will get a rating and that determines whether or not students go to state. 

“Everyone deserves what they got because everyone worked really hard on what they did, and that’s all that matters,” sophomore, Beth Welshimer said. 

Not going to State in Austin, directors and students have been deprived of many things such as in-person contests or concerts. 

“I don’t really have any details about the process, but I think it is the right thing to do to not have an in-person contest, our kids always seem to rise to the challenges that are before them,” director, Mike Ellis said.

As students are starting to prepare for state, many are excited to do a virtual contest for state. Directors are very proud of the band for what they did. 

“Everyone worked very hard and did a great job even with all the strangeness of the year,” Ellis said.